- Back up your device using iCloud or your computer.
- Plug your device into power and connect to the internet with Wi-Fi.
- Go to Settings > General, then tap Software Update.
- Choose the software update that you want to install. You can choose to stay on iOS or iPadOS 15 and still get important security updates. Or you can choose the option to upgrade to iOS or iPadOS 16.
- Tap Install Now. If you see Download and Install instead, tap it to download the update, enter your passcode, then tap Install Now. If you don't know your passcode, learn what to do.
If you get an alert when updating wirelessly
Some software updates aren't available wirelessly. VPN or proxy connections might prevent your device from contacting the update servers.
If you need more space when updating wirelessly
If a message asks to temporarily remove apps because the software needs more space for the update, tap Continue to allow apps to be removed. After installation is complete, those apps are automatically reinstalled. If you tap Cancel instead, you can delete content manually from your device to add more space.
Customize automatic updates
Your device can update automatically overnight while it's charging.
Turn on automatic updates
- Go to Settings > General > Software Update.
- Tap Automatic Updates, then turn on Download iOS Updates.
- Turn on Install iOS Updates. Your device will automatically update to the latest version of iOS or iPadOS. Some updates might need to be installed manually.